Newton North School Council Deliverables
The Newton North School Council has undertaken a variety of projects during its existence - examples of these are identified below. Get details about those projects that are highlighted by clicking on them below:
- Wrote the first Athletic Handbook - 1995/96;
- Advocated for phones and technology for teachers - 1999/2003;
- Staff survey to assess sentiments about the grading system - 2001/02;
- Established standards for the various boards in the school such as the SFA, Academic Standards and Human Rights Boards - 2001/02;
- Advocated for the hiring of new teachers in the early spring – 2002/03;
- Assisted in the establishment of school maintenance and renovation issues with respect to the new NNHS building – 1998/04;
- Development and publication of a College timeline that runs from freshman through senior year - 2008/09. This has now been incorporated into the College Planning Guide;
- Establised EdEx – an Educational Excellence fund-raising campaign that has contributed more than $100,000 to NNHS – 2007/08;
- Symbolic transfer of the Newton North High School - developed & organized events carried out in the Fall of 2010 to mark the symbolic transfer from the old to the new NNHS building - 2009/10;
- Strengths and needs survey - first given in 2006 when Jen Price became Principal of Newton North, the community was surveyed to identify the strengths and needs of the school. In 2011/12 the SC conducted another survey to reassess where Newton North stands five years later and to determine our current strengths and needs. The results & consequential action were communicated to the Newton North community - click on Communique to see what it said.
- School Improvement Plan: click on SIP to view the current School Improvement Plan for Newton High School 2012-2015.
- To make post-secondary opportunities, especially college, more accessible for all students & their families at Newton North, especially students from low income families, or students who would be the first in their family to go to college, or minority or ELL (English Language Learner) students. School Council voted to work on this project for 2 years, from 2012-14 & 2013-14 helping to pioneer the Transitioning Together or T2 program. T2 work is now an established program pairing mentors from the Newton community to work with eligible NNHS students beginning in their junior year. Mentors work with the student & their families to assist them navigate the college application process.
- During the 2014-15 school year Principal Price began working with her leadership team & faculty at NNHS to promote the philosophy of growth mindset. The Newton North School Council decided to supplement this approach by outreach events to engage parents & the wider Newton community about growth mindset. To this end the School Council held various events during the year including workshops at North & Bigelow & a book group discussion event, & establish a list of best of Growth Mindset resources - click here to view the resources.